Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Multi partition problems?
I have a 256GB drive that I want to use as a full "digital toolbox" with Ventoy and PortableApps, but I would like to do so with 2 partitions so I can encrypt the non-ventoy partition with BitLocker. I built the drive with Ventoy and tested it, then used DiskGenius to split the volume. However, now when I boot it is going to a "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported." I know the boot partition is still there because I'm getting that far, and all 3 partitions are visible in Windows. I know EXFat is wacky and doesn't really support splitting like that.

The second question, I also tried with the new version where they say on the front page where they say "Reserved USB space supported" which to me sounds like we will have an opportunity to slice some space off, but I don't see that.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get this setup working before I start over and try again?
You can refer to  https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_disk_layout.html

With Ventoy-1.0.14 you can install Ventoy to your USB and reserve some space.
For example, You can reserve 128GB, and create a part3 with the 128GB reserved space after install.
So finaly the USB will have 3 partitions:
part1: 128GB-32MB
part2: 32MB
part3: 128GB

You can format part3 with NTFS and use it as you want.
How do I tell the setup to allow that space? When I run the 1.0.14 installer, it automatically uses the entire drive. It never gives me an option to reserve space.
(06-26-2020, 02:31 PM)rtuite Wrote: How do I tell the setup to allow that space? When I run the 1.0.14 installer, it automatically uses the entire drive. It never gives me an option to reserve space.
You need to read.
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_disk_layou...erve_space
I see it now, it looks like a footnote.
Hello
I installed the new version which allows to reserve a disk space in order to create a totally standard partition. Indeed, it is impossible to write in a standard way in the partition N ° 1 as you explained in this exchange https://forums.ventoy.net/showthread.php?tid=130

It is then easy to write in this partition N ° 3.
When I leave ventoy, the windows10 that I use can access this partition N ° 3 without any difficulty.

The problem arises when I use an old windows which considers that there can only be one partition in an external medium. It continues to display the contents of the first partition!

The problem is therefore not entirely resolved.  The correct solution is as follows.

First create a partition reserved only for the user. Why not exfat? She will be N ° 1

In second position, create the real EXFAT partition as it is known

Finish with the boot partition in FAT. Preferably in FAT32. She will be N °3

This should be possible for a future version.

Thanks
In old Windows version (like Windows7 / Window 8...)  Only first partition can be mounted and used by user.
So if I set the 2nd partition as exfat partition to hold ISO files. How they put the ISO files into this partition?
They can't see the 2nd partition and use it at all.  After all, there are still a lot of people only using Windows 7/8/8.1 ...
Hello

Indeed, if we want to manufacture on these old computers, the partition must be with the number 1 whatever its position on the disk when it is created.

It is only necessary that the EXFAT partition of ventoy is created with N ° 2 because although having N ° 2 it remains the first until the user partition is not created. ( I checked). But I don't know if this is possible.

May I take advantage of this exchange to ask you if Ventoy2Disk.exe is indeed a 32-bit window application executable on these old computers because the message "Not a Valid Win32 Application" is displayed when I launch this old computer and I don't found in the documentation if 32 bit was supported ?

Thanks
Quote:It is only necessary that the EXFAT partition of ventoy is created with N ° 2 because although having N ° 2 it remains the first until the user partition is not created. ( I checked). But I don't know if this is possible.

This will introduce compatibility issues. Some legacy BIOS only recognize the USB as a bootable USB only if it has an active part 1.

Quote:May I take advantage of this exchange to ask you if Ventoy2Disk.exe is indeed a 32-bit window application executable on these old computers because the message "Not a Valid Win32 Application" is displayed when I launch this old computer and I don't found in the documentation if 32 bit was supported ?

Yes, Ventoy2Disk.exe is a 32 bit Windows Application. I will provide both 32bit & 64bit version in the future release.
Hello.
Until yesterday, I had used the software with windows10 so in 64 bits.
It was only yesterday that I used Windows XP and discovered the
two problems.
- Access to the third partition impossible but will be resolved by allowing writing to the EXFAT partition containing the ISO files.
- Manufacturing software which seemed incompatible to me which will also be solved

Life is wonderful.

Thanks.