Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think that I've messed up
all,
I'm attempting to install a distribution of linux. I have previously use Ventoy to install Alma linux, but I need to intsall another distribution, so thats that. My issue is that when I boot into the Ventoy Menu, which looks like it installed correctly, the bootable .iso isn't available. Currently the flash drive I'm using is a 32gig onn. and has two partitions listed as sda1 and 2. 1 is 28.9 GiB and 2 is 32 Mib, and this is where the ventoy tool seems to live. I hope you can help me with my dilema, its a bit strange to me.
Take some photos about the Ventoy menu、your USB layout. Files in the sda1.
Did you use the large Alma Linux DVD ISO (8GB)?
You may have a fake USB drive which has less memory than it should have.
get the SHA checksum of the ISO file ON THE USB DRIVE and compare it with expected SHA

https://rmprepusb.com/tutorials/007-all-...sh-drives/
ok, I can't figure out how to post a picture. The Ventoy menu looks normal, but no usable .iso is present. I have the iso files in a separate folders from the ventoy instance. When ventoy installed it went into the 32M partition. My understanding is that the iso files should go into the partition with the ventoy instance, but it's not big enough to fit either.

(08-15-2022, 05:22 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: Did you use the large Alma Linux DVD ISO (8GB)?
You may have a fake USB drive which has less memory than it should have.
get the SHA checksum of the ISO file ON THE USB DRIVE and compare it with expected SHA

https://rmprepusb.com/tutorials/007-all-...sh-drives/

I don't really follow why the SHA would cause an issue. It looks good right now though.
Partition 1: ISOs, VHDs, IMG files
Partition 2: 32MB FAT - Ventoy boot files - MUST BE 32MB EXACTLY
Well, I'll try a different usb stick, but I'm kinda out of ideas. Can you use mac to install ventoy? It just goes from browser to the media, right? It matters what os you install with it, but it doesn't matter what os you use to install ventoy?
So, new usb stick old problem. I was worried that I'm formatting the disk wrong and ran fdisk to take a look at the usb stick to verify this. the result is displayed below for my thumb drive and I noticed that I have HPFS/NTFS/exFAT for type in sda1, where I think my iso file will live. Have I used the wrong tool and made the formatting of the thumb drive unable to accept the linux iso? Thanks for your help, guys.

Disk /dev/sda: 114.6 GiB, 123048296448 bytes, 240328704 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xb56b0e5f

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/sda1 * 2048 240263167 240261120 114.6G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 240263168 240328703 65536 32M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
That looks OK - as expected.
But what files do you have on the first partition?
What folder are they in
What is their filenames and what is their extension?
don't you have a smartphone or digital camera? When you reply, click on Preview Post and then attach pictures.
I still don't have the ability to see any iso boot files. My wife has a macbook pro, can you install/ manipulate files on a ventoy boot drive with a macbook?
But what files do you have on the first partition? first partition is AlmaLinux-8.6-x86_64-minimal.iso, archlinux-x86_64.iso, linuxmint-21-xfce-64bit.iso
What folder are they in: they are all in the same folder. this folder is the only one in the entire partition.
What is their filenames and what is their extension? all the file extensions are .iso
(08-18-2022, 12:26 AM)C@se_G@ge Wrote: I still don't have the ability to see any iso boot files. My wife has a macbook pro, can you install/ manipulate  files on a ventoy boot drive with a macbook?
But what files do you have on the first partition? first partition is  AlmaLinux-8.6-x86_64-minimal.iso, archlinux-x86_64.iso, linuxmint-21-xfce-64bit.iso
What folder are they in: they are all in the same folder. this folder is the only one in the entire partition.
What is their filenames and what is their extension? all the file extensions are .iso

When you boot into Ventoy's main screen, press c to enter grub shell and run follow commands:

ls -l $vtoy_iso_part/
ls -l $vtoy_iso_part/xxx/

here you need to replace the xxx with your folder name that hold the ISO files.