Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
suggestion for new release
(09-24-2021, 09:41 AM)haimoura Wrote: Hi everyone

Thank you all the programmers of this very handy tool I really loved it and switch all my install media from other similar software,

firstly if this is wrong place to post please move the post kindly to correct forum

I have one suggestion as I am using Linux version on Manjaro and it is working fine now with the last update and the GUI is great.. but missing one button.
I suggest to make a button for testing the the instllation media on qemu
just a click which excute the following command
Code:
sudo qemu-system-x86_64 -MMM /dev/sdX -m 4096
as the MMM will represent installation media
and     sdX   will be the device name
the memory part can be excluded or be an option on the side of the button.

thank you for your  effort and time
Adil

You should keep in mind that Ventoy is not an OS, nor an emulator or virtual machine, which is able to mimic a virtual hardware environment for the booted ISO.

Basically, Ventoy is a tool, which dynamically generates menu entries for GRUB2 at runtime (very nice idea, thank you very much!).

Am I right, longpanda? Maybe it should be mentioned on the homepage, what Ventoy does and what it does NOT.

As far as I know, QEMU needs an OS to run: for the feature you want, it would be necessary that some Linux expert provides a micro live Linux, whose only purpose is to run QEMU and pass some parameters to it (maybe via one or more shell scripts injected by Ventoy, which configure the hardware for Linux and start QEMU with appropriate parameters): similar to the distributions of Clonezilla, Acronis or others, which provide a micro OS to run their tools.

It would be nice to see some documentation on the homepage, how Ventoy boots ISOs or VHDs and the hardware requirements:
- Do I need at least as much RAM as the size of the ISO? Is the ISO copied to RAM and mounted as a readonly disk before booting, or how is the boot process accomplished, etc., etc.?
- Why is the Ventoy pendrive (at least the 1st partition?) locked, when booting a Live Linux?
- Why is this partition not locked, when booting a Windows rescue system like HBCD-PE?
- Wouldn't it be sufficient to lock only Ventoy's folder in the first partition to protect its ISOs from being modified?
- Is it possible to chainload to an ISO or VHD with other bootloaders in it like GRUB1 or SYSLINUX and inject some configuration files for them?
- How do I build such an "bootloader only" ISO/VHD, which files are required, how do I make such an ISO bootable?

Messages In This Thread
suggestion for new release - by haimoura - 09-24-2021, 09:41 AM
RE: suggestion for new release - by niteflyer - 09-27-2021, 06:37 AM
RE: suggestion for new release - by haimoura - 09-27-2021, 11:47 PM
RE: suggestion for new release - by BKPB - 10-05-2021, 02:48 AM