Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Drive not recognized in legacy mode?
solved 
Hi all,

OK, so after much "fun" swapping HDDs and USB Keys around this is what this seems to boil down to:

I this Lenovo B40-70 laptop, if there is an internal HDD detected as a bootable drive then a Ventoy external MBR HDD is not listed as a bootable option.

Meaning:

- B40-70 + BIOS Mode + Intenal MBR HDD + external MBR USB HDD + Ventoy = Ventoy not detected.

- Change laptop = HDD detected
- Change to UEFI = HDD detected
- Change external HDD for external SSD = SSD detected
- Change external HDD for USB key/stick  = USB Key detected
- Add bootable HP USB key (*) = HDD detected

(*) So far only two HP USB keys have caused the BIOS to detect the Ventoy USB HDD, I haven't confirmed if this is due to the keys themselves (hardware) or the way they are formatted/partitioned (software).

At one point I thought this could be caused by the way the internal HDD is partitioned but I have ruled that out now, so I am guessing this an issue in the BIOS and not in Ventoy nor in the internal drive or the way I am creating my drive.

In a few days will test with yet another laptop (an HP unit) to this is not happening on more devices.

Regarding the power cycling before each boot attempt, this Laptop requires me to power it off and push a little button with a pin in order to enter the boot selection menu or the BIOS config, so every attempt starts from a "power off" state.

The ports the drives are connected to make no difference (left, right, 2.0, 3.0 I tried them all) .

(I am marking this as Solved as I think the issue is in the hardware/bios and not in Ventoy.)

Regards.
Ren.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drive not recognized in legacy mode? - by Ren - 11-30-2020, 06:13 PM
RE: Drive not recognized in legacy mode? - by Ren - 12-05-2020, 11:44 PM
RE: Drive not recognized in legacy mode? - by Ren - 12-14-2020, 12:56 AM
- - by Brandonbog - 12-14-2020, 03:34 PM
RE: Drive not recognized in legacy mode? - by Ren - 12-27-2020, 06:26 PM