Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventoy on Linux - need to format usb stick as ext3/4
(10-14-2020, 11:46 AM)longpanda Wrote: Is it OK if you don't format the main partition to ext3? (default is exfat).

No, with exfat I could copy isos onto the partition, and could boot into the ventoy menu. But nothing would boot from there. The attempts hung, with a cursor in the top left corner of the screen.

Finally I got the idea that it might be the partition format, and so I reformatted the partition as ext3 (using Gparted). Then I copied the isos on to it, and EVERYTHING WORKED! (I chose ext3 because it is a well established linux format, and because ext4 might have been more demanding. But my prediction is that ext4 would also work.)

I was especially pleased as for a few days I had tried various programs (such as Yumi), as well as Ventoy. Only Ventoy has worked for me.

All the isos used were of linux distributions or tools. I did not try to put a Windows iso or toolkit on the partition.

I now have the multiboot stick which I wished to create. But I am willing to do some further experimentation, if that would help development of the program.

Best wishes,
Peter Stone

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ventoy on Linux - need to format usb stick as ext3/4 - by peter4747 - 10-15-2020, 09:55 PM