Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventoy on Linux - need to format usb stick as ext3/4
Dear all,

After numerous attempts with various programs to create a working multiboot usb stick, I finally succeeded with Ventoy. So I thank and congratulate the author for providing an excellent piece of software.

I am working on linux (mainly Mint 18), on an Asus CM6330 desktop with an intel i7 cpu, dating from 2012. I eventually used a new Sandisk Ultra 32 GB usb stick.

One problem which I had to overcome to get Ventoy working effectively was to format the main partition on the usb stick as ext3 (using Gparted), after installing Ventoy on the stick. If the default fat format of the partition was used, I could copy isos to the stick, and activate the Ventoy menu when booting, but no iso would load (whether in legacy or uefi mode). It is possible that the problem is limited to some rather old machines, but I suggest that the Ventoy documentation should indicate the desirability for linux users of formatting the main partition on the usb stick as ext3 after installing Ventoy on the stick.

Best wishes,
Peter Stone

Messages In This Thread
Ventoy on Linux - need to format usb stick as ext3/4 - by peter4747 - 10-14-2020, 11:31 AM