Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ventoy does not boot Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon beta iso
After selecting the iso to start on Ventoy (without persistence), it stays frozen on a black screen with a static "_" in the upper left corner. It is possible to make it work by using Ventoy to boot into Grub2 File Manager v7.2.0 and then using it to boot from the Linux Mint 20 beta iso.
Is there a way for me to provide some relevant logs or will you download the image yourself and do the tests? Thank you!

Also, off topic, something I really like about Grub2 File Manager is that when you boot from a Linux distro on it, the primary partition is available for the user to read and write, and unable to be unmounted since the ISO is being read through of this partition. Would it be possible for you to implement this in the next version of Ventoy? Thanks again!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I really wouldn't expect Mint (20), which is in Beta, and just released yesterday, to be working with Ventoy right now.
(06-14-2020, 02:30 AM)scaramonga Wrote: I really wouldn't expect Mint (20), which is in Beta, and just released yesterday, to be working with Ventoy right now.
It's not as if Linux distros reinvent the wheel in every new update
You could open ISO from stable and beta versions and compare boot section. Is the linuz and initrd the same extensions?
I too would think that betas would not change from boot section.
(06-14-2020, 03:41 PM)vmclark Wrote: You could open ISO from stable and beta versions and compare boot section. Is the linuz and initrd the same extensions?
I just tried Legacy BIOS boot ant it worked, so the problem is UEFI boot. As when trying with UEFI the ISO don't even arrive the GRUB screen, I think the problem is in some code to load *.efi/EFI.img files and not the GRUB configuration files.
There's a difference in the compression method of initrd.lz but I don't think it's  the problem

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-14-2020, 05:16 PM)KaMyKaSii Wrote:
(06-14-2020, 03:41 PM)vmclark Wrote: You could open ISO from stable and beta versions and compare boot section. Is the linuz and initrd the same extensions?
I just tried Legacy BIOS boot ant it worked, so the problem is UEFI boot. As when trying with UEFI the ISO don't even arrive the GRUB screen, I think the problem is in some code to load *.efi/EFI.img files and not the GRUB configuration files.
There's a difference in the compression method of initrd.lz but I don't think it's  the problem

@longpanda I just updated Ventoy to 1.0.13 and after selecting the Linux Mint 20 beta iso, my screen is still frozen with the symbol "_" in the upper left corner, but I found that pressing enter Linux Mint will load, I had not thought about it before because  there is no prompt on the screen to do this (as in the Windows installer ISOs). But it loads straight to the desktop, which means that the frozen black screen is actually the grub screen not visible, I can confirm because if I press the down arrow four times before pressing enter, I go into the media integrity check. Is your Ventoy setup also like this or is the Mint 20 grub visible?
I can't reproduct the problem in my laptop and VM.
When you in ventoy boot menu, you can use terminal_output console to switch to text mode (or use display_mode option in theme plugin) and make a try.
(06-15-2020, 02:42 AM)longpanda Wrote: I can't reproduct the problem in my laptop and VM.
When you in ventoy boot menu, you can use  terminal_output console  to switch to text mode (or use display_mode option in theme plugin) and make a try.
I tried both but still the same problem. Of course this is not a big deal, but I would like to discover the reason of this problem
(06-18-2020, 05:32 AM)KaMyKaSii Wrote:
(06-15-2020, 02:42 AM)longpanda Wrote: I can't reproduct the problem in my laptop and VM.
When you in ventoy boot menu, you can use  terminal_output console  to switch to text mode (or use display_mode option in theme plugin) and make a try.
I tried both but still the same problem. Of course this is not a big deal, but I would like to discover the reason of this problem

Have you tried Compatibility mode of Mint or any other suggestions in "Solving freezes during the boot sequence" from Mint's Release Notes?

https://linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php