Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[REQUEST] Second Data Partition for optional encryption
Hi,

im using Ventoy since 1.0.06 and i like it a lot. Its much more reliable than the other tools ive tested. And the best Part, its soooo easy to add new ISO.  Heart

But i would like to have the option for a second data partition so my ISOs are on one Partition and my private data is on another Partition. Then i could hide and encrypt the second Data Partition with VeraCrypt. Would be pretty nice, so i dont need to create a file container for VeraCrypt.

Thanks and bye,
Jan
(06-03-2020, 08:40 AM)Jan2220 Wrote: But i would like to have the option for a second data partition so my ISOs are on one Partition and my private data is on another Partition. Then i could hide and encrypt the second Data Partition with VeraCrypt. Would be pretty nice, so i dont need to create a file container for VeraCrypt.

You do not need to use a file container. You have to decrease the size of the primary partition, move the EFI partition to the left and then create a third partition at the end of the disk. I tested this configuration today on an external hard drive with Ventoy installed and Veracrypt is working perfectly on the third partition
(06-19-2020, 03:00 AM)KaMyKaSii Wrote:
(06-03-2020, 08:40 AM)Jan2220 Wrote: But i would like to have the option for a second data partition so my ISOs are on one Partition and my private data is on another Partition. Then i could hide and encrypt the second Data Partition with VeraCrypt. Would be pretty nice, so i dont need to create a file container for VeraCrypt.

You do not need to use a file container. You have to decrease the size of the primary partition, move the EFI partition to the left and then create a third partition at the end of the disk. I tested this configuration today on an external hard drive with Ventoy installed and Veracrypt is working perfectly on the third partition

Which software did you use to create third partition? And how? Can you please guide?
(06-19-2020, 05:16 AM)vishalvodro Wrote:

Which software did you use to create third partition? And how? Can you please guide?
There is absolutely no secret. I used GPARTED, you can use any partitioning program. If you are using ExFAT on the first partition means it will take a little more work because not all partitioning programs resize ExFAT, but I heard that Disk Genius on Windows does. And if the partitioning program you use complains about moving the EFI partition saying that the system may not boot etc. simply ignore it. Then create a third partition using NTFS at the end of the disk and select it when using Veracrypt.
Just a warning: I have no idea if the update function of Ventoy without losing data will continue to work, since we changed the partition structure of the disk, I would like a response from longpanda about that

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(06-19-2020, 10:21 PM)KaMyKaSii Wrote:
(06-19-2020, 05:16 AM)vishalvodro Wrote:

There is absolutely no secret. I used GPARTED, you can use any partitioning program. If you are using ExFAT on the first partition means it will take a little more work because not all partitioning programs resize ExFAT, but I heard that Disk Genius on Windows does. And if the partitioning program you use complains about moving the EFI partition saying that the system may not boot etc. simply ignore it. Then create a third partition using NTFS at the end of the disk and select it when using Veracrypt.
Just a warning: I have no idea if the update function of Ventoy without losing data will continue to work, since we changed the partition structure of the disk, I would like a response from longpanda about that

Thank you for the clarification. Never used GParted, so had no idea. But I didn't get any success with windows partition which I explained here thoroughly...
https://forums.ventoy.net/showthread.php?tid=118
This is in the development plan of Ventoy 1.0.14

https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/issues/243