Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 legacy mode setup problem
Sad 
Could anyone help me with this problem, has anyone seen something similar?
I'm using seagate 1TB external HD, I have windows 10 iso modified by ntlite that I use every day.
If I try to install Windows in Legacy mode, it stops at the second menu screen and does not go beyond it, other times it simply appears a black screen and does not come out of it, rare times it passes and the installation begins, but it is only possible to delete partitions, create partitions presents mistake.
But if you boot via EFI mode, it works normally either option.
The problem only happens in legacy mode.
Has anyone had this kind of problem?
I tested with the versions ventoy-1.0.80 and ventoy-1.0.79
(error to create partition only presents if using wimboot option)
Give me your win10 download link
(09-30-2022, 12:28 PM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: Give me your win10 download link
Hello friend unfortunately I will be in debt to iso, in iso has information and systems of the company that I work I cannot share, second problem is that iso has 12GB, and my net is 10mb, it would take a long time to upload, if it were possible to share, using it in virtual machines or by other software to create boot disk is working normally only with ventoy presents the problem.
But thank you very much for trying to help, I asked the question to know if anyone else had this type of problem, because sometimes I could fix it by doing some process or configuration.
I can help with photos or any other information, but I can't provide that.

I'm downloading the original windows 10 iso to do a test, then I'll post the results and link of the iso, in case the same problem happens.
(09-30-2022, 12:28 PM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: Give me your win10 download link
Unfortunately not with this original link : https://software.download.prss.microsoft...346c439605

I cannot install.
Follow the photos of the errors, 2 pcs I tested, remembering that error only happens in legacy mode, error changes as it restarts.
EFI mode all normal.

When it starts in normal mode, it freezes at this screen and does not exit.
If it starts with winboot, it displays errors or simply stops us at 100% and does not leave this screen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-30-2022, 03:10 PM)Steve2926 Wrote: Do you get same Legacy problem if you use a different USb drive?
Is the problem only with Ventoy and that 1TB drive or does it fail with Rufus on that 1TB drive too?
Do you get the problem on a different system?
Do you get the problem using a standard Microsoft Win10 USA Retail ISO?
0x80004005 is usually an data I/O error which could mean a problem with the USB drive + USB port. - Try using a different USB port.
Is the 1TB drive connected to a USb 3 USB adaptor and is it connected to a USB 3 port? If so, use a USB 2 port or connect a USB 2 cable between the USB drive and the USB 3 port.

I downloaded https://software.download.prss.microsoft...346c439605
and had a problem running that ISO and another large Windows 10 ISO using Ventoy Legacy,
I tried wimboot mode and saw an error about 'too many chunks' (can't remember exact message).
So I ran Defraggler on the ISO file to defragment it.
Now it boots OK. My partition 1 was formatted as NTFS.
Maybe try defragmenting the ISO?
I just did this test, with a 32gb pendrive it works normally, with a 1tb hd it doesn't work, I connected it to 3.0 and 2.0, both don't work with an external hd.
Going to windows setup means that ventoy has given permission to windows setup and finished the task, so the error you mentioned is clearly the windows setup or boot.wim. Try to rest and see when using nlite to create iso with the ability to windows upgrade.
Some legacy BIOS have the 128Gb limit bug on USB disk accesses.
Could this be the problem? How is your 1TB USB drive partitioned?
If the Ventoy Partition 2 is after 128GB on the disk then the BIOS is probably OK as it legacy boots OK.
(09-30-2022, 04:43 PM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: Going to windows setup means that ventoy has given permission to windows setup and finished the task, so the error you mentioned is clearly the windows setup or boot.wim. Try to rest and see when using nlite to create iso with the ability to windows upgrade.
the problem is with using an external HD, as I said in the post above, the same iso with a 32GB pendrive works perfectly, I noticed now that several of my iso's are not loading either, and it always worked, it probably won't be a problem with version .80 of ventoy and yes a problem with something related to being an external HD, I'm going to do a test now with one of these iso that didn't work on the HD on a pendrive to see if it happens.

(09-30-2022, 04:47 PM)Steve2926 Wrote: Some legacy BIOS have the 128Gb limit bug on USB disk accesses.
Could this be the problem? How is your 1TB USB drive partitioned?
If the Ventoy Partition 2 is after 128GB on the disk then the BIOS is probably OK as it legacy boots OK.
I don't know how to partition using ventoy, I let it do its normal work creating the external HD only with ventoy, and including all the iso's that I would use, so far I've always used a pendrive, but I would move to HD for having a much larger size than my flash drive.
What exactly is the Seagate HDD? USB? Make? Model? Cost? where bought? etc.
(09-30-2022, 05:29 PM)Steve2926 Wrote: What exactly is the Seagate HDD? USB? Make? Model? Cost? where bought? etc.
Modelo : USB 3.0 Seagate 1teap5-500 1tb

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)