Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot access Partition 1 under Linux .vtoy
I created a LinuxMint  vdi.vtoy file which boots to Linux Desktop OK
The Ventoy USB drive has three partitions.
Linux can access Partition 2 and Partition 3 on the Ventoy USB drive but Partition 1 is not accessible.
Is there any way to access files on Partition 1 please?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Did you set VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT option?
How do I set that? In Linux before running the vtoyboot.sh script?
Or do you mean set it in Ventoy before booting to the .vtoy file?
If running using grub2 or grub4dos, how do I set the variable?
1. Set VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT in ventoy.json and boot .vtoy file from Ventoy to check whether it can work
2. If it works. You can also add VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT=1 boot option inside the Linux system. That is to say, edit the grub.cfg file in the Linux system before you run vtoyboot.sh.
Setting REMOUNT in json did not seem to work when running from Ventoy USB drive.
Note: This is also a problem when the .vtoy file is on a large internal disk because then all files on the internal disk partition are inaccessible.
It should work as:
https://github.com/ventoy/vtoyboot/issues/43

I will test it when I have time.
I tried it in json file but does not seem to work.
Used F5 to check json and it is not listed in global plugin check. I used ventoyplugson to add entry

{
"control":[
{ "VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT": "1" }
],
"control_legacy":[
{ "VTOY_DEFAULT_MENU_MODE": "1" },
{ "VTOY_MENU_TIMEOUT": "5" },
etc. etc

Then I tried it as follows:
1. UEFI64-boot to Ventoy
2. Select UbuntuMint.vhd.vtoy file
3. Mint displays a grub2 menu - press e and add VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT=1  to kernel parameters
Now I can access Ventoy Ptn1 in Mint.

I added legacy and UEFI entires using ventoyplugson and now it works!
{
],
{ "VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT": "1" },
{ "VTOY_MENU_TIMEOUT": "5" }
],
"control_uefi":[
{ "VTOY_LINUX_REMOUNT": "1" },
],
"control_ia32":[
{ "VTOY_DEFAULT_SEARCH_ROOT": "/_ISO" },
{ "VTOY_DEFAULT_IMAGE": "/_ISO/LINUX/xubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-i386.iso" }
],
"theme":{
"file": "/ventoy/themes/ventoy_slack/theme.txt",
"ventoy_color": "#ffff00"
etc

This worked for legacy and uefi.
but previous menu (see above) was not picking up the global value???

I also tested VTOY_WIN11_BYPASS_CHECK  in global control and this is also not listed by F5 - Plugin - control  menu?
I assumed that setting any parameter in the "control" section would apply to all other legacy,uefi,ia32 etc modes.

{
        { "VTOY_WIN11_BYPASS_CHECK": "1" },
    ],
    ],
    "control_uefi":[
    ],
    "control_ia32":[
        { "VTOY_DEFAULT_SEARCH_ROOT": "/_ISO" },
        { "VTOY_DEFAULT_IMAGE": "/_ISO/LINUX/xubuntu-18.04.3-desktop-i386.iso" }
    ],
    "theme":{

USER INTERFACE PROBLEM WITH VentoyPlugson

When using VentoyPlugson - how do I know if there is a "control_uefi" section defined in the ventoy.json file?

e.g. 
1. start with NO ventoy.json
2. set control tab VTOY_WIN11_BYPASS_CHECK to  1
3. now I go to control_uefi tab  - it says in web page VTOY_WIN11_BYPASS_CHECK is set to 0

So I would expect VTOY_WIN11_BYPASS_CHECK to be 0 when I UEFI boot but it is actually active when I UEFI boot !!!

However, if I now go to control_uefi tab and set VTOY_DEFAULT_MENU_MODE to 1, VTOY_WIN11_BYPASS_CHECK is still showing as 0 but it is now not active when I uefi boot!

The problem is that VentoyPlugson does not tell me if any of the control_legacy, control_uefi, control_ia32, control_aa64 and control_mips sections are defined in the ventoy.json file or not.

This means that what I see in those tabs may or may not be true depending on whether the control_xxx section actually exists in the json file.

I think this could be solved if you detected if a section control_xxx was present and indicated this on each of the tab pages when they were selected (see attached):

Also, would be nice if we could delete a control_xxx section and thus make all settings in the tab for control_xxx inactive.
i.e. reset control_xxx settings.

P.S. What do + and - buttons do?

Firstly you need to understand how Ventoy plugin multi-mode configuration works.
https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_dual_option.html

For all Ventoy plugins, XXX and XXX_legacy/XXX_uefi is a mutually exclusive relationship rather than an integrated relationship.
That is to say, for each boot time either XXX section take effect or XXX_legacy/XXX_uefi take effect.

Actually the logic is very simple (also very simple for code implement). Take control plugin in Legacy BIOS mode for example:
If control_legacy exists, then only control_legacy section will be parsed, and all the configurations in control section will be ignored. if control_legacy doesn't exist, then 
control section will be parsed. 

That is to say, once you active control_legacy section, then you need to set all the configurations in control_legacy section because they will NOT be integrated from control section.