Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Unable to Create Bootable ISO that Works With Ventoy
solved 
Hi there, I'm struggling to create an edited Windows 10 ISO that can boot with Ventoy. The Windows 10 ISO does not show what edition you'd like to install (Home, Pro, etc.) by default so I extracted the ISO using WinRAR to add an ei.cfg in the sources folder that overrides this. I then use ImgBurn's "Create Image File from Files/Folder" functionality to make this folder into an ISO.

Steps to replicate:
- Download Windows 10 ISO officially from Microsoft's website.
- Extract with WinRAR to folder, add ei.cfg file under sources folder that allows me to select which edition to install.
- Open ImgBurn. Select "Create image file from files/folder" in ImgBurn, select the Windows 10 folder and the destination ISO directory. Under Advanced > Bootable Disc, I have tried making a bootable image where I point the boot image at the etfsboot.com file and changing the "Sectors to load" to 8. I have also tried making an ISO by leaving "Make Image Bootable" unchecked.
- Place ISOs on Ventoy flash drive.
- Upon trying to boot the bootable ISO ImgBurn created using Ventoy, I get a flashing underscore in the top left of my display for a few seconds before it returns to the Ventoy boot menu. Upon booting the ISO that was not made to be bootable, I get the error "No bootfile found for UEFI! Maybe the image does not support X64 UEFI!"

I have verified both ISOs are functioning using Virtualbox and both boot in EFI mode. When I copy the contents of both ISOs to another flash drive I can successfully boot both of them on a UEFI bootable only PC.

Has anyone been successful in doing what I'm trying to do with Ventoy? If so, how can I edit an ISO and then re-burn it into something that Ventoy will boot?

Thanks.
Please test with VMWARE, connect the ISO file directly to CD/DVD of a VM and boot in UEFI mode.
VirtualBox in UEFI mode can boot some unstandard ISO file which is not fully match the bootable ISO file specification.
Although this is user-friendly, but it may obscures a fact that the ISO file is not fully standard and may can not boot in other environment(e.g. VMware/Qemu/Physical Optical Drive ...)
Rather than creating a new ISO, try modifying the existing one using something like PowerISO. I've done this a lot with success. ?
You should use ultraiso/poweriso/winiso... instead of using ImgBurn and don't extract windows iso, just open windows iso with ultraiso/poweriso/winiso then copy ei.cfg to source folder of windows iso, finally save.
I was able to fix my issue, I was not aware of the ability to edit ISOs but I might try that next time.

Essentially when burning the ISO in ImgBurn you have to make it bootable and point it to the efisys.bin file, and change the sectors to load to 2880. That was my issue, from there Ventoy booted it just fine.
(11-22-2021, 11:47 PM)taylor Wrote: I was able to fix my issue, I was not aware of the ability to edit ISOs but I might try that next time.

Essentially when burning the ISO in ImgBurn you have to make it bootable and point it to the efisys.bin file, and change the sectors to load to 2880. That was my issue, from there Ventoy booted it just fine.
Please follow the instructions on this site
https://www.wintips.org/how-to-edit-iso-...ble-image/
how to make your windows iso not eligible to boot in both legacy and uefi modes