Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does not start Windows PE Gandalf Redstone 5
Translated By Bing...

Hello.
I can't start Windows PE Gandalf Redstone 5.
On my USB Ventoy I have 3 ISO:
Windows 10.
Windows PE Sergei Strelec.
Windows PE Gandalf Redstone 5.

Windows 10 and Windows PE Sergei Strelec start correctly, but with Windows PE Gandalf Redstone 5 I get black screen with error message:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating wi th a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external uSB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive thi s error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Status: Oxc00000e9 Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.
Yes,

I have the same problem with Gandalf's Windows 10PE x64 Redstone 5.

WinPE 10-8 Sergei Strelec works fine.

I have tested Gandalf Redstone 5 with Ventoy 1.0.27 again.

I changed the file extension from ISO to IMG and Gandalf boots without the error: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

But drive Y is not present and no internet connection. The integrated programs do not work.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

测试可以使用 F1 MEMDISK功能,可以正常引导,进入PE后。加载ISO并且将盘符调整至Y盘。

can use F1 memdisk function, can boot normally, after entering PE. Load ISO and adjust the drive letter to the Y
Exclamation 
RE: Windows 10 Gandalf [...]

I would advise caution in the downloading and using of such an "OS." Many of these are filled with trojans/rootkits. While I've never used said OS in the OP, I still advise extreme caution.

I apologize if this post sounds off-topic, but I'd hate to see people using something unofficial which could potentially harbor malware. Malware, which usually is not detected by scanners, most of those being proprietary themselves and easily bypassed by baked in rootkit(s).
Big Grin 
Works by a detour:

Rename the Gandalf_x64_Redstone_5_07-28-2019.iso to Gandalf_x64_Redstone_5_07-28-2019.img

After Gandalf loads, go to Ventoy Drive, rename the Gandalf.img to Gandalf.iso and mount the Gandalf.iso 

Go to Start > All Programs > System and select ReMount CdDrive Y

Go to Start > All Programs > Network > PENetwork to create a connection

Have fun  [Image: biggrin.png]
Tried.
Most time cannot boot. Even at time boot successfully using F1 option. Most program in Gandalf's Windows 10PE x64 Redstone 5 fails to run. At first I though is a Gandalf's Windows 10PE x64 Redstone 5 problem so I use one standalone USB stick and rufus-3.13 to convert iso to USB. It runs fine.

(11-28-2020, 10:22 AM)bashfulbutcherblade Wrote: RE: Windows 10 Gandalf [...]

I would advise caution in the downloading and using of such an "OS." Many of these are filled with trojans/rootkits. While I've never used said OS in the OP, I still advise extreme caution.

I apologize if this post sounds off-topic, but I'd hate to see people using something unofficial which could potentially harbor malware. Malware, which usually is not detected by scanners, most of those being proprietary themselves and easily bypassed by baked in rootkit(s).

The virus is mostly coming from portable apps. Just remove some of these apps and you will be fined. OS itself has no issue.
Try new ways to succeed:

F1 loading process is too slow.

In the Gandalf.ISO BOOT.WIM Copy it out, boot WIM with ventoy and start it normally (tested)

After entering PE, load ISO and set the drive letter to y. You can use the built-in program.

This avoids renaming before and after startup, and takes up less space of USB flash disk.

Optional operation:

Delete Gandalf.ISO In document BOOT.WIM Then save the ISO. This will not take up extra USB disk space.
Lightbulb 
(12-10-2020, 07:20 AM)cscs Wrote: The virus is mostly coming from portable apps. Just remove some of these apps and you will be fined. OS itself has no issue.

Do you not understand how using mystery media from the net can actually fuck your system up in ways you cannot imagine?

Obviously you do not understand the risks in using unknown builds of proprietary OS/software so I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

Maybe you'd like to tell me how you can audit the code of proprietary software/OS, you can't. Perhaps you can provide me with a reproducible build for the OS, you can't. Saying, "OS itself has no issue" is bullshit. You are using black box mystery meat for an OS.

My earlier post in this thread with the warning message still applies. If someone is stupid enough to execute mystery code on their machine after reading the warning they deserve what they get. But this is something I've come to expect from Windows users.
Old post but in case anyone is still running into this . . .

re:
  • GandalfsWindows10PE_x64_2019.iso
  • WinPE10_8_S.Strelec_x86_x64_2021.iso
on Ventoy-1.0.80, MBR boot

I was able to run Gandalf and Sergei Strelecs ISO's after formatting the Ventoy partition to NTFS.
It had previously been exFAT, and neither would boot.
I used the "Normal" boot mode, instead of Winboot mode, strangely.
I had first tried all the other fixit recommendations.

Then . . .

After I installed Medicat, it messed things up to a certain extent.
Medicat booted and ran fine and . . .
Srelecs ISO booted fine, booting now in Winboot mode but . . .

Gandalf booted, but none of the programs would run, showing a "bad path" type of error.
Hiren Boot CD wouldn't boot no matter what I tried.
Perhaps I can fix that by editing the Ventoy json file.
Cant boot Gandalf RedStone 7 on Ventoy 1.0.81 UEFI64 - can you ?

If the ISO is not loaded as Y: then do it manually from the Desktop. Use ImDisk to mount the ISO as Y:.