Ventoy Forums
PC will not load Ventoy - Printable Version

+- Ventoy Forums (https://forums.ventoy.net)
+-- Forum: Ventoy General Use —— Ventoy 使用交流 (https://forums.ventoy.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum (https://forums.ventoy.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: PC will not load Ventoy (/showthread.php?tid=40)

Pages: 1 2 3

PC will not load Ventoy - Hairy Mutley - 05-19-2020

I have a PC a rather old Advent laptop with Intel Dual-Core T3200 64 bit processor.
I can use Etcher to put a Linux Mint iso onto a USB stick and get the PC to boot from it
However, if I reformat the USB with Ventoy (1.0.10) and put the Linux Mint ISO on it, the PC will not boot from it. It doesn't show the Ventoy selection menu, it just moves onto the next bootable device.
If I use this USB with Ventoy on a different PC, it boots Ventoy and then Linux Mint without a problem.

Clearly the PC can handle the USB stick.
Also, the Ventoy installation on the stick is OK.
But, the PC is unable to handle Ventoy as a bootable media.

Any suggestions how to find out what is wrong?

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - longpanda - 05-20-2020

It's Legacy BIOS mode or UEFI mode?

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - Hairy Mutley - 05-20-2020

It is Legacy BIOS.

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - loli_roller - 05-20-2020

I am having the same issue, and i am on a legacy bios too

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - KaMyKaSii - 05-23-2020

I discovered Ventoy yesterday. I'm running in UEFI mode with Secure Boot disabled, so I thought that the default installation of Ventoy (just the -i parameter) would be enough, but the flash drive didn't boot. So I decided to use the installation for Secure Boot (the -s parameter), I also formatted the first partition to NTFS because I have plans to continue using the flash drive on the TV, and in this configuration Ventoy booted up normally. I don't know if the modification that made it work was the use of the -s parameter (doubtful since I continued with Secure Boot disabled in UEFI) or the use of NTFS in place of ExFAT. I recommend you two to test the second option to see if there is a change

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - Sardus - 05-23-2020

I am having the same issue too. I can not boot both from a PC with legacy BIOS and from a couple of PCs with UEFI (secure boot disabled).
I also tried the the way suggested by KaMyKaSii without any luck.
I prepared the usb from Windows using the .exe file.

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - KaMyKaSii - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 02:54 PM)Sardus Wrote: I am having the same issue too. I can not boot both from a PC with legacy BIOS and from a couple of PCs with UEFI (secure boot disabled).
I also tried the the way suggested by KaMyKaSii without any luck.
I prepared the usb from Windows using the .exe file.
Did you try the new Ventoy update? With it my pc booted Ventoy while using Legacy boot for the first time

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - Tinkl - 05-24-2020

same problem, and on version 1.0.11 too. My computer does not consider this flash drive bootable.
BIOS, old pc Dell vostro motherboard G33m02
The same thing happened when I installed Kali (as full OS) on the stick on the second partition too. Then I found a solution, but I don’t remember which one. I remember there were manipulations with the first 2048 sectors after installation, and maybe something else. I can’t google it again.

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - KaMyKaSii - 05-24-2020

(05-24-2020, 03:00 PM)Tinkl Wrote: same problem, and on version 1.0.11 too. My computer does not consider this flash drive bootable.
BIOS, old pc Dell vostro motherboard G33m02
The same thing happened when I installed Kali (as full OS) on the stick on the second partition too. Then I found a solution, but I don’t remember which one. I remember there were manipulations with the first 2048 sectors after installation, and maybe something else. I can’t google it again.
The first 2048 sectors are the first 1MiB of the disk, which carry the MBR + GAP described on the disk layout page. If you run any Linux distro, I recommend that you test the flash drive on qemu to see if it is possible to boot through it, and you could also make a backup of the first 1MiB and upload it here so that the developer can check if there is something wrong.
Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/flash/drive of=MBRandGAP.img bs=1MiB count=1

And as a question for the developer, maybe I am suffering something similar. As in my other post, I'm trying to turn an external HD into a bootable Ventoy disk without losing my current data (I don't have another disk to backup it). I was able to install Ventoy and boot with UEFI (creating and restoring the second partition). To boot with Legacy BIOS, I backed up the first 1MiB of a flash drive created by Ventoy, backed up the original partition table of the external HD (sudo dd if=/path/to/external/hd of=partitiontable.img skip=466 bs=1 count=64), restored the backup of 1MiB to the external HD (the first partition of the external HD also starts in sector 2048) and then I restored his original partition table (sudo dd if=partitiontable.img of=/path/to/external/hd seek=466 bs=1 count=64). The external HD has booted by the qemu BIOS normally, but not by the computer's motherboard. Do you have any idea what I can do?
Edit: I discovered my error, I needed to use fdisk to set partition 2 type to ef and set the boot flag

RE: PC will not load Ventoy - Tinkl - 05-24-2020

if it helps, uploaded 2 files here: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/k4qmjvbqmx7ak7s,psk51z5m193njaa/shared 
1M_usb_Kali.img - from flash drive whithin Kali, botable, defined as USB-HDD0
1M_usb_ventoy.img - from flash drive whithin ventoy, not botable, defined as USB-ZIP0