Ventoy Forums
Access key from booted linux? - Printable Version

+- Ventoy Forums (https://forums.ventoy.net)
+-- Forum: Ventoy General Use —— Ventoy 使用交流 (https://forums.ventoy.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum (https://forums.ventoy.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Access key from booted linux? (/showthread.php?tid=1445)

Pages: 1 2

Access key from booted linux? - Loceka - 11-26-2020

Hello,

Is there any way to access the USB key main partition (where the iso is located) from a linux booted with Ventoy?

I always had a message "unable to mount" when trying to access it and it wasn't in the mounted devices.
It would be really great to have this possibility.

Cheers,
Loceka.

RE: Access key from booted linux? - spanspek - 11-26-2020

(11-26-2020, 08:36 AM)Loceka Wrote: Hello,

Is there any way to access the USB key main partition (where the iso is located) from a linux booted with Ventoy?

I always had a message "unable to mount" when trying to access it and it wasn't in the mounted devices.
It would be really great to have this possibility.

Cheers,
Loceka.

Hi Loceka

Type lsblk in your terminal ...[attachment=221] ... you'll see that it (or at least part of it - the linux iso that you boot from) is already mounted.

RE: Access key from booted linux? - longpanda - 11-27-2020

The partition which hold the ISO file can not be mounted after boot into a Linux distro.

RE: Access key from booted linux? - Loceka - 11-27-2020

Out of curiosity, what's preventing it?

RE: Access key from booted linux? - longpanda - 11-27-2020

Ventoy will create a device mapper on the partition (e.g. /dev/sdb1) which will make the partition unmountable.

RE: Access key from booted linux? - Doc_Emmet - 12-28-2020

Hello there.

Been using Ventoy for a couple of days, and I must say that is a huge relief being able just drag and drop ISOs into the pendrive Smile (comparing to YUMI I was using). But... it's a quite big no-go not being able to use first partition to save other data on it while using Ventoy/liveOS  Sad  While being almost complete noob, is there any way to, lets say, create another partition for that device mapper needs. Right now i use 120 GB drive, and not being able to save a single file on the drive forces me to use another pendrive. Maybe we can create another partition and "sacrifice" a bit of space for device mapper or whatever, i.e. i wouldn't mind to "lose" 10GB for example but being able to use the other 110GB. 
Thanks in advance and keep up the good work Wink

RE: Access key from booted linux? - longpanda - 12-29-2020

If you want to access the USB drive after boot (e.g. read/write some file from/to the USB drive) you can create partition3/partition4 and use them.
https://www.ventoy.net/en/doc_disk_layout.html#reserve_space

RE: Access key from booted linux? - Doc_Emmet - 12-29-2020

Thanks for the reply, longpanda Smile
Yes, i've read that info. That reserved partition can definitely be helpful, but you will be limited by that partition size. If you need to backup fast something that is bigger than that partition... would be much more convenient to have access to the whole first partition, and in case you need more space for your stuff, just delete those ISOs you don't need right now or while you don't need any spare space for personal files, have the whole drive for ISOs. Just in worst case scenario, a small extra partition to where the ISO is "auto copied" before mounting could work? Will be pretty slow on USB2 devices but still...

- - Brandonbog - 01-06-2021

Im went from playing KoC to playing RoC.... im naras officer... and i lost a lot of my access to the forum..... shiggity, can you fix it for me..... thanks man

RE: Access key from booted linux? - KaMyKaSii - 01-07-2021

(12-29-2020, 02:21 AM)Doc_Emmet Wrote: Thanks for the reply, longpanda Smile
Yes, i've read that info. That reserved partition can definitely be helpful, but you will be limited by that partition size. If you need to backup fast something that is bigger than that partition... would be much more convenient to have access to the whole first partition, and in case you need more space for your stuff, just delete those ISOs you don't need right now or while you don't need any spare space for personal files, have the whole drive for ISOs. Just in worst case scenario, a small extra partition to where the ISO is "auto copied" before mounting could work? Will be pretty slow on USB2 devices but still...
At times you need to access the primary partition, you can use the following workahound: use Ventoy to load G2FM multiarch ISO and then use it to load the desired Linux ISO. Just remember that in this case you will be limited to the functionalities of G2FM, which does not support persistence etc