Ventoy Forums
Ventoy Linux GUI - Printable Version

+- Ventoy Forums (https://forums.ventoy.net)
+-- Forum: Ventoy General Use —— Ventoy 使用交流 (https://forums.ventoy.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ventoy Discussion Forum (https://forums.ventoy.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ventoy Linux GUI (/showthread.php?tid=124)

Ventoy Linux GUI - AgentX - 06-20-2020

Is there any chance of getting a Ventoy version for Linux with a GUI like you have for Windows? Thanks

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - longpanda - 06-20-2020

In the future release.

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - KaMyKaSii - 06-20-2020

(06-20-2020, 03:19 PM)longpanda Wrote: In the future release.

Can I know what your approach will be to make the program as portable as possible? I am not a developer but I would like to suggest that you use the App Image format to make the app compatible with as many distributions as possible. But if you are new to application development and know how to program in Python, it may be simpler for you to develop the Ventoy installer with a GUI using this language, which is also widely used in Linux distributions

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - dee - 06-20-2020

CLI approach is more reliable and simple.

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - tlmiller76 - 06-20-2020

While overall I'm fine with the current way things are done in linux, I would argue against app image. It's bloated, it's a Windows-y way of doing things, and it's just an overall horrible way of doing just about anything.

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - AgentX - 06-20-2020

(06-20-2020, 05:56 PM)tlmiller76 Wrote: While overall I'm fine with the current way things are done in Linux, I would argue against app image. It's bloated, it's a Windows-y way of doing things, and it's just an overall horrible way of doing just about anything.

Not even remotely true. Appimages work GREAT.

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - tlmiller76 - 06-20-2020

(06-20-2020, 06:23 PM)AgentX Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 05:56 PM)tlmiller76 Wrote: While overall I'm fine with the current way things are done in Linux, I would argue against app image.  It's bloated, it's a Windows-y way of doing things, and it's just an overall horrible way of doing just about anything.

I cannot possibly disagree with you more if you said the sun was black.  Everything about how Appimages work is badly done and wrong.  They are simply the worst thing to come to linux ever.  Even Snap is a superior solution, and I'm not fond of that either.

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - AgentX - 07-30-2020

(06-20-2020, 07:19 PM)tlmiller76 Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 06:23 PM)AgentX Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 05:56 PM)tlmiller76 Wrote: While overall I'm fine with the current way things are done in Linux, I would argue against app image.  It's bloated, it's a Windows-y way of doing things, and it's just an overall horrible way of doing just about anything.

I cannot possibly disagree with you more if you said the sun was black.  Everything about how Appimages work is badly done and wrong.  They are simply the worst thing to come to linux ever.  Even Snap is a superior solution, and I'm not fond of that either.

Sorry but you really need to put down the Drano filled crack pipe.

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - GCMartin - 07-31-2020

This is NOT for the commenters on this thread, but rather for the Ventoy developers. Microsoft, of course, has .NET for screened apps. In Linux, odds on the distros is package with either QT or GTK.

I can understand how a .NET app will work "no matter which Windows version one uses".

And I understand that in Linux, an GTK program may NOT work on some Linux distros as there are GTK release level components present or missing. This is exactly the same in QT programs.

I do understand this dilemma! Thus, I am clear why VENTOY is a cli in Linux as a CLI will run no matter which Linux one has (Just as a .NET program does for Windows). The CLI version does work! As such I am happen for it as I like others also run LInux-only PCs.

So any GUI that is presented to create a screen matching the Windows screen will HAVE TO BE built as a "static" component to avoid the nuances.

LongPanda has already stated, at the beginning of this thread, that he has this discussion as a "todo" on the developer's list. This community, I am sure, will eagerly test it when that version comes.

BEST of Luck going forward. Wishing continued success.

RE: Ventoy Linux GUI - trymeout - 04-02-2022

Linux GUI is amazing, packaging it as an AppImage would be cleaner and easier to use, will be portable and will work on any distro. balenaEtcher which is an alternative to Ventoy packages their linux app as an AppImage.