Ventoy Forums

Full Version: Boot from Hard disk drive
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How to add option to boot from hard disk drive
(09-19-2020, 09:31 AM)mr.neeo Wrote: [ -> ]How to add option to boot from hard disk drive
Have you tested F4 to boot from the local disk and then option "Search and boot Windows".
It 
worked well here, Windows 10 x64
(09-19-2020, 12:17 PM)ChrisR Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-19-2020, 09:31 AM)mr.neeo Wrote: [ -> ]How to add option to boot from hard disk drive
Have you tested F4 to boot from the local disk and then option "Search and boot Windows".
It 
I've tried F4, but I went with "Boot the 1st local disk" to boot a drive with Grub2 and a variety of Linux distros on it. F4 does seem like what I'm looking for, but I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor. Have to hit the power switch.

There's only one hard drive and the thumb drive with Ventoy on it.

Anybody else experienced this? Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Even with this little challenge, Ventoy is the best thing since sliced bread.
(05-04-2021, 10:54 AM)thunker Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-19-2020, 12:17 PM)ChrisR Wrote: [ -> ]
It 
I've tried F4, but I went with "Boot the 1st local disk" to boot a drive with Grub2 and a variety of Linux distros on it. F4 does seem like what I'm looking for, but I just get a black screen with a blinking cursor. Have to hit the power switch.

There's only one hard drive and the thumb drive with Ventoy on it.

Anybody else experienced this? Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Even with this little challenge, Ventoy is the best thing since sliced bread.

Does not work for me as well: seems that "Boot the 1st local disk" searches the active partition on the 1st local disk for booting. But I usually hide all partitions before I use Ventoy:
if Ventoy would use the bootcode in the MBR (as if BIOS boots the preferred disk), then it would start my boot manager, which is able to hide/unhide and activate/deactivate partitions according to a selected profile, before booting the active partition.

Could you change this behavior or add more boot options (boot MBR for legacy BIOS booters)?
I'm seeking for the possibility to automatically boot from the first disk, just as if no Ventoy was installed, but boot ISO only if explicitly chosen ?!

(02-17-2022, 11:38 AM)tmuehlhoff Wrote: [ -> ]I'm seeking for the possibility to automatically boot from the first disk, just as if no Ventoy was installed, but boot ISO only if explicitly chosen ?!
Sorry for bothering, apparently I didn't search well enough, the trick is to place rEFInd.iso onto the 1st partition and edit grub.cfg to boot it after a timeout, anyhow it would be great as a feature of Ventoy (to boot into maybe the first ISO by ABC or one that's called default.iso) after a while, given you work on remote machines.
Has anyone solved this problem?
(03-20-2022, 04:38 PM)Heavenanvil Wrote: [ -> ]Has anyone solved this problem?
Have you tried F4 yet?
(03-20-2022, 11:21 PM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: [ -> ]
Have you tried F4 yet?
It doesn't work for me.
And how to make a menu item so that when the timer expires, let's say 30 seconds, it is automatically selected.
(03-21-2022, 09:04 AM)Heavenanvil Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2022, 11:21 PM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: [ -> ]
Have you tried F4 yet?
It doesn't work for me.
And how to make a menu item so that when the timer expires, let's say 30 seconds, it is automatically selected.
Does your hard drive contain a boot system? For example windows os or linux os.....
(03-22-2022, 08:05 AM)nguyen ha thai trong Wrote: [ -> ]Does your hard drive contain a boot system? For example windows os or linux os.....

It works if i boot in EUFI mode.
If just booting, it says:

Code:
error: no such device: /Boot/BCD
error: no such device: /NTDETECT.COM
Windows NOT found...

Press any key to continue...

Okay, but how do I make this menu item select itself, after 30 seconds, if the user has not pressed any buttons? I use "TreeView Mode"
Pages: 1 2