Ventoy Forums

Full Version: UEFI Boot Menu showing 2 entries for Ventoy UFD
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My system has UEFI firmware.  When I ask to display my UEFI Boot menu, I get the 2 NVRAM permanent entries but  instead of 1 entry for my Ventoy UFD, I get two.

UEFI Kingston Datatraveler 3.0PMAP Partition 2  - if I select this one, Ventoy works great
UEFI Kingston Datatraveler 3.0PMAP Partition 3 - if I select this one, I'm returned to the UEFI boot menu

It is a dynamic, UFD based entry.  It doesn't exist in my NVRAM.  If I remove the Ventoy UFD these two entries do not show up.  Do you know why this 2nd entry is showing up.  More an inconvenience than anything.
Does your USB drive have three partitions?
Is there a \EFI folder on partition 3?
(07-09-2022, 08:43 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: [ -> ]Does your USB drive have three partitions?
Is there a \EFI folder on partition 3?
The UFD has 3 partitions - Ventoy, VentoyEFI and OTHER.  Only VentoyEFI has a folder \EFI (partition 2).  Partition 3 there is no EFI folder in the root or anywhere else.
It is probably a BIOS issue. Some show other partitions as boot options even if they are not UEFI bootable.
When you say 'When I ask to display my UEFI Boot menu,' what exactly do you mean? Are you pressing F12 on boot for BIOS Boot Selection menu pop-up?

Make/Model/BIOS rev.?
In WIndows\Linux OS, can you Change option to show all files and hidden files in File Explorer and then give us details of Ptn 3.
FAT32/NTFS/exFAT? Size? How made? What files and folders are on it? Partition Type number of ptn 3 (RMPrepUSB - Drive Info - 0)?
Any hidden folders?
(07-15-2022, 10:46 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: [ -> ]It is probably a BIOS issue. Some show other partitions as boot options even if they are not UEFI bootable.
When you say 'When I ask to display my UEFI Boot menu,' what exactly do you mean? Are you pressing F12 on boot for BIOS Boot Selection menu pop-up?

Make/Model/BIOS rev.?
In WIndows\Linux OS, can you Change option to show all files and hidden files in File Explorer and then give us details of Ptn 3.
FAT32/NTFS/exFAT? Size? How made? What files and folders are on it? Partition Type number of ptn 3 (RMPrepUSB - Drive Info - 0)?
Any hidden folders?

Hot key to display UEFI boot menu. AsRock UEFI Z390-ITX/AC P4.30. UFD Part 1 and 2 exactly as per Ventoy with reserved free space.

Partition 1 - Ventoy exFAT 80 GB
Partition 2 - VtoyEFI FAT32
Partition 3 - NTFS 150

On Partition 3 -

DIR f:\*.* /a

Directory of F:\

07/10/2022 09:29 PM <DIR> FSI0FullBackup
01/05/2022 01:40 AM <DIR> System Volume Information
0 File(s) 0 bytes
2 Dir(s) 126,028,820,480 bytes free