Ventoy Forums

Full Version: keyboard fails often
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
When booting ventoy sometimes my keyboard works and other times it does not, meaning I have to keeping rebooting until it works. It works fine while I choose my boot option but fails when the ventoy menu comes up. it is a wireless USB keyboard but i have also tried a plugin in USB keyboard. I remember from years ago when using Acronis boot disk that I would have to use a PS2 keyboard but I no longer have that as an option. I should also mention that Easy2Boot is doing the same thing. i also have two USB sticks with ventoy on that exhibit the same symptoms.
Are you talking about Legacy booting to Ventoy or UEFI?
When you say E2B does the same thing, do you mean
1. Legacy E2B menu
2. Legacy agFM/grubfm menu
3. Legacy Ventoy for Easy2Boot menu
4. UEFI agFM\grubfm menu
5. UEFI Ventoy for Easy2Boot menu

???
Legacy Easy2Boot menu for sure and Ventoy Legacy menu. I use both separately on different disks.
As E2B boots, try holding down the SHIFT key. This will load the grub4dos USB 2 driver.
Does the E2B menu then always work once the driver is loaded?
(01-05-2022, 09:14 AM)Steve2926 Wrote: [ -> ]As E2B boots, try holding down the SHIFT key. This will load the grub4dos USB 2 driver.
Does the E2B menu then always work once the driver is loaded?
 Sorry for taking so long to respond. i got side tracked. Holding the shift key does not help. I should add that whenever i try running easy2boot from my laptop i do not run into this problem. On my computer I get the same problem booting from an easy2boot drive or a ventoy drive. It is hit and miss and very frustrating.
mufc Wrote: [ -> ]On my computer I get the same problem booting from an easy2boot drive or a ventoy drive. It is hit and miss and very frustrating.

That seems to imply the problem is hardware related, IMHO.
When you hold down the SHIFT key as E2B boots, do you see the USB driver messages? Does the driver recognise and load for device 0x80 (the USB boot drive) successfully?

Did you test Legacy agFM/grubfm menu
Holding down the space key seems to be a matter of timing. if I hold it down as soon as the blue easy2boot screen appears it then starts to create the menu but stops with this msg 'space key was pressed , press enter to continue'. When I do that the rest of the menu loads and it has not frozen the menu on three consecutive tries.
Thanks for all your help. I hope this is it.
SHIFT key not space key !

There are two SHIFT keys on a keyboard, one on the left and another on the right, they usually have an up-arrow logo on them.

It is the one you press if you want a capital letter or a character written above another character on the same key.

So when E2B starts to boot, you just press down and hold down one of the SHIFT keys and then you should see a text message in yellow saying something like
INFO: GRUB4DOS USB 2.0 DRIVER and then maybe some numbers etc.
(01-18-2022, 08:23 PM)Steve2926 Wrote: [ -> ]SHIFT key  not space key !

There are two SHIFT keys on a keyboard, one on the left and another on the right, they usually have an up-arrow logo on them.

It is the one you press if you want a capital letter or  a character written above another character on the same key.

So when E2B starts to boot, you just press down and hold down one of the SHIFT keys and then you should see a text message in yellow saying something like
INFO: GRUB4DOS USB 2.0 DRIVER  and then maybe some numbers etc.
When I hold down the Shift key this is what I get:
INFO: GRUB4DOS USN 2.0 DRIVER (SHIFT KEY DOWN)
.....Scanning USB devices.....
And it just hangs there, and hangs and hangs.
Pages: 1 2