Ventoy Forums

Full Version: Windows 10 VHD Fails to boot
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Windows 10 2019 LTSC 1809 installed in Virtualbox and fully updated.
Verified booting correctly in VBox multiple times.
2. Installed Ventoy (GPT mode) to External USB HDD.
3. Copied ventoy_vhdboot.img (win 10 based) to ventoy folder in Ventoy partition.
4. Copied VHD file to Ventoy partiton.
5. Booted using UEFI menu to USB HDD (Secure boot off), ventoy loads up.
6. Selected vhd file, shows the text stuff and then goes to unresponsive black screen. (waited 5 minutes) Have to manually switch laptop off.

What I tried:
Used NTFS for Ventoy partition. Same result.
Used Win7 based img file. Now stuck at spinning circle forever with very little HDD led blinking activity sometimes.

Please suggest next step to troubleshoot.

Additional Question:
Is there a way to install ventoy to a USB flash drive, boot up and select vhd file from another hard disk? What I mean is load from a disk/partition other than "Ventoy" on the USB drive.
Answer to supplementary question: Ventoy Menu Extension Plugin -https://www.ventoy.net/en/plugin_grubmenu.html, works perfectly.
@longpanda : Can you please suggest?

@zeit : I think you misunderstood, I need to pick file and boot, say .vhd from another disk/partition other than "ventoy".
Please, some comments from longpanda would be appreciated.
You'd better use some tool (e.g. bootice) to set a boot option into Windows bootmgr and boot the VHD from Windows boot menu.
This will make sure that the VHD file indeed can boot fine in your laptop.
同样的VHD,放到同样用ventoy工具制作的不同u盘中,然后到同一台电脑上运行,结果一个能运行,一个蓝屏,这样的情况我碰到过。同一个u盘,在这台机器上能运行,换一台机器就不行,这样的情况我也碰到过。

建议:1)同一个u盘,换台电脑试试,看看能不能正常启动。
2)换个性能好一点的u盘或移动硬盘,重新制作。
3)制作VHD方法,不妨也换一下,请看“制作全功能便携windows10系统“。