Ventoy Forums

Full Version: Ventoy ISO - An idea for LongPanda
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The Ventoy ISO is created with one specific mission: Create/Update a Ventoy USB. It offers no other services. They work, although, it does need improvements that would be provided by ANY modern Window manager. In fact, excepting for the most die-hearts, EVERYONE understands use of a desktop window manager from Windows users, to noobs, to die-hearts...everyone. And EVERY window manager offers some basic services such as logout, reboot, shutdown, etc.

Having tested and used the Ventoy ISO I wonder if its author will consider a couple suggestions or ideas that would improve, at a glance, use that would work with everyone, yet yield the very things the authors wants a user to meet for USB creation:

1. An example of one idea is for the Ventoy ISO author to review the RescueZilla ISO. Like Ventoy, it, too, is purpose-built and it offers much/most in its user interface that would meet what the Ventoy ISO author would want for Ventoy users. (THIS IS NOT a request to use Rescuezilla, merely it offers an example of a "user look" for Ventoy's ISO) There are many other ISO examples which are purpose-built that might be favorable to creates support screens which would be similar to what is used in Ventoy's Microsoft UI.
  2. Another purpose-built example is the GParted ISO (there are several other purpose-built example ISOs on the internet)
  3. Another idea is a Linux window manager that has a built-in means for the kind of screen UI that would match the UI used by Ventoy under Microsoft's desktop. These window managers, all, possess the capability for shutdown/restart that Ventoy would not need to bother itself with.
Again, these are ideas that would exceed what is current in Ventoy's ISO. As it stands today, NONE Of the 3 means (Windows app, Linux app, or Ventoy ISO) for Ventoy building of its USBs match in either appearance or implementation. If users saw the same thing across all products, Ventoy builders would have less work while user use would benefit, as well.

The ideas presented here is offered as ideas to provide a consistent interface across all of the Ventoy build methods, where possible.

FYI
IMHO and from what I have seen, I doubt very much Ventoy's dev is willing to support a full blown distro, even one with limited boot manager features -- and I can't say I don't understand his reservations...

It would be a whole different story if there was a real team behind the project. Angel
AGreed via current observation. But, still we MUST continue to assist with ideas to guide to a better product which is both stable and easy to use no matter which method is used to create the ventoy USB device.

One IMPORTANT point to share with @LongPanda is his ISO should/must at some point have the Gparted GUI present. ALL Linux distros DO NOT SUPPORT ExFat filesystem as some also only system it partially. THIS is an oversight that @LongPanda may not be aware. The ability for the user to set/reset the filesystem of Partition #1 on the Ventoy USB device is a very IMPORTANT step in the final construction of the Ventoy device! The ISO with something consistent and GParted for configuring the USB device addresses what most users needs to insure it closely matching the varied BIOS/UEFI there are in the PC hardware world.

Thus it is important that he/they give some consideration of what direction is best for Ventoy and ALL the types of users he is attempting to make this product useful to.

Hope he sees and understands what we share.